"Sticks and Stones: Sharpsburg Structures" presented by Paula Reed
Paula Reed will discuss building with native limestone. Photos and floor plans of old log structure and a 1934 work order for Big Spring Wall will be displayed.
This program is free and open to the public.
Contact 301-992-9767 with any questions.
“The Big Spring
Native Americans, travelers, and early settlers used this water source long before Joseph Chapline, Sr., chartered Sharpsburg in 1763. Chaplain laid out the town so that the spring was one-half block from the town center. The never-failing spring, once called Garrison’s Spring, served as the main water source for town residents and their livestock until 1967 when a public water system was installed. Over the years different groups and organizations have built, maintained, and whitewashed the spring’s stone arch and walls where a large metal dipper once hung for all to use.”